— Time to experience more frequent and intense Braxton Hicks contractions!
Pack your bag and keep them ready near the door. If you are a first time mother-to-be, then no need to worry about what to pack. Search online and you will find checklist of things that need to be packed. Even for women who have planned for home birth need to pack a small bag.
For most women, these last weeks of pregnancy will be so hard. You may experience Braxton Hicks contractions more frequently and even intense. Even you can have sex during this period. Unless your water has broken, you can safely have intercourse. Some studies proved that sex and nipple stimulation are the natural methods to induce labor.
This week, there are still many things happening with you and your baby. Learn about what to expect during these final weeks and at the maternity center.
Symptoms experienced by a 38 weeks pregnant woman:
The level of discomfort that you experience will even increase this week because of the size and weight of your baby putting an increased pressure upon the internal organs. Also, the pregnancy hormone relaxin will even relax the joints between the bones around the pelvic region thus making the back pain even worse.
Here are the signs of true labor that you experience during pregnancy week 38:
Unfortunately no one can exactly predict when your labor will actually begin. You may deliver the baby exactly on your due date or the baby may even decide to stay in your womb until pregnancy week 41 or 42. Here are the common labor signs that most 38 weeks pregnant women experience:
- You may experience Braxton Hicks contractions that are more intense, strike more often, and getting closer together. Also, there is a great chance that these Braxton Hicks contractions may even become into real contractions.
- Increased vaginal discharge is also a pregnancy symptom you experience during pregnancy week 38. Dilation of cervix leads to the discharge of mucus plug particularly during last few weeks of pregnancy. This is a sign that indicates that you are very near to the real labor.
- Cervix starts to ripen. Braxton Hicks contractions that you experience during those previous weeks can cause the cervix to soften, thin or even dilate a little bit. Though the cervical dilation starts, there is no urgency to visit the hospital until it has dilated to 4 centimeters. This indicates that labor is very near. When you are almost near to the due date, your obstetrician performs vaginal examination to know whether the cervix has started to dilate or efface yet.
- Water breaking is also an indication for true labor signs. This breakage happens with the rupturing of amniotic sac. If you notice this, immediately call your doctor or midwife. Even you notice any contractions after water breaking, then your doctor will try to induce the labor. Without any protection of the amniotic sac, your baby is at higher risk of getting an infection.
Physical changes that occur in a 38 weeks pregnant woman:
When you are 38 weeks pregnant, your belly will pretty much appear the same as previous week. During 38th week of pregnancy, you might gain weight between 25-30 pounds.
Your breasts may become even bigger and notice a discharge called colostrum from the nipples. If they are not bigger or leaky, don’t worry. You won’t experience any difficulty breastfeeding.
You may also observe increased swelling of the feet and ankles. If the condition is more intense, try to have some support. You can use hose. Remember that if you are using thigh- or knee-high hose, the tops are not too tight. You can wear them prior the swelling starts.
Fetal changes that occur in a 38 weeks pregnant woman:
When you are 38 weeks pregnant, the baby is about 21.25 inches length and up to 6.8 pounds weight. The weight of the baby may also depend on whether it is a boy or girl.
Though the space may be getting tight, the baby still tries to kick and move around. Internal organs of the baby are almost well developed and the baby is perfectly ready to live in the outside world.
The baby’s intestines are releasing a substance called meconium. It is a waste product released from the pancreas, liver and gall bladder. This substance is removed after the birth, but if the birth is delayed, then there is a great chance to expel this substance into the amniotic fluid, which will be extremely dangerous for the baby.
By this week, the baby’s reflexes will become even stronger. When you put light closer to your belly, the baby quickly turns towards it. This reflex is generally called as orienting response.
By this week, your baby has fully developed hair on his/her head. Usually, the baby’s head and abdominal circumference are of the same size.
With the deposition of more fat, the baby’s body becomes plumper and less wrinkled. Besides to being the size of a newborn baby, he/she is also the weight of a light laptop computer.
What care should be taken by a 38 weeks pregnant woman?
- Avoid sitting or standing for longer hours.
- Wear low-heeled shoes.
- Whenever you sit, make sure to keep a support on your back.
There are several positions that can help to avoid most discomforts during pregnancy week 38:
- Semi sitting helps gravity in getting your baby along and through the pelvis.
- Side lying eliminates the weight and pressure of the uterus on the major blood vessels as well as the perineum.
- Squatting aids to open the pelvis and helps gravity. This upright squat position is perfect to give birth and is considered by most women.
Have a wonderful journey of pregnancy!! Go on to know more about the exciting things during pregnancy week 39…