Top 5 Different Types of Fertility Treatments
There are different types of fertility treatments for those who are having difficulty in conceiving a child. But success is not guaranteed with any of the fertility treatment and some procedures are now raising ethical concerns both inside and outside of the medical community.
Any kind of fertility treatment starts with basic diagnosis of infertility. People who want to seek any kind of fertility treatment should try to conceive naturally for at least 1 year to fifteen months. Oftentimes, most of the couple may not be diagnosed with any kind of fertility problems. Those who are not diagnosed with any fertility problem can be given with specific instructions regarding the sexual position, about woman’s ovulation cycle, etc.
Here are the different types of fertility treatments that increase the chances of getting pregnant:
1. Fertility Drugs: Several types of fertility drugs can improve the chances of getting pregnant. They help women to ovulate and also to decrease the chances of miscarriage. These medications help men to boost their sperm count. But there are some side effects associated with fertility drugs, such as multiple births, OHS i.e. ovarian hyper stimulation syndrome, which causes enlarged ovaries and are filled with fluid. In men, these drugs can cause temporary feminization.
2. In vitro fertilization (IVF): In this kind of fertility treatment, sperm is extracted from man and eggs from woman and both are combined in the laboratory. After the formation of embryo, they will be implanted or some will be discarded. The major problem associated with this procedure is, it increases the chances of multiple births. Giving birth to more than one baby can be a major challenge both financially and emotionally.
3. Intra Cytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI): This procedure is similar to IVF. During this procedure, sperm is directly injected into the egg, but not left to fertilize the egg in a petri dish. This kind of fertility treatment is suggested when the quantity and motility of the sperm is good. This procedure ensures fertilization instead of leaving it to chance.
4. Intra Uterine Insemination (IUI): In this procedure, you will be regularly monitored to find out your ovulation period. During that period, you need to attend your fertility specialist office along with your partner. Then sperm sample is collected from your partner and it will be washed and directly injected into the woman’s cervix.
5. Alternative and complimentary treatment: Acupuncture and some herbs can increase the chances of getting pregnant. Following strict dietary plan can also improve your fertility. Though these procedures are not studied medically, it is important to do proper research about the results of these procedures and also safety before going to attempt them.